MENU

July 6, 2016

Still Getting Ready For Japan & Hong Kong | Tattoo Issues....

With the trip fast approaching there are still a lot of things that Justin and I need to do to get ready, and as of the Monday I've added another item to my list of things to worry about in terms of going to Japan. My tattoos, which is honestly something I didn't think about until watching one of Anna Lee and Jesse's current Japan Vlogs where they mention that Jesse might have to cover up his tattoo to go somewhere.

So I started doing some research into tattoos in Japan and apparently in some places (Especially onsens, public pools and certain gyms) tattoos are frowned upon because of the association of tattoos with the yakuza.

Upon realizing this Justin and I started looking up the rules of various places we are visiting, such as the Shinjuku Robot Restaurant and Tokyo Disneyland, and they really do have rules on tattoos.

According to the Shinjuku Robot Restaurant's rules, which are apparently in place "to discourage trouble from yakuza and other organized crime gangs from entering the venue" the following things are not permitted...
  • Sunglasses 
  • Tattoos (You must ensure that you cover them if you have any) 
  • Costumes or large wigs 
  • Crime organization members 
  • Drunk customers 
  • Masks
And under Tokyo Disney's "For Everyone's Safety and Enjoyment" section of the website it says the following activities are not allowed in the Park...
  • Possessing hazardous materials
  • Selling or displaying items for sale
  • Distributing fliers
  • Exchanging, transferring, buying or selling tickets among Guests
  • Public gatherings or speaking
  • Commercial photography or other activity
  • Public transmission or recording of any kind that may inconvenience other Guests, etc.
  • Wearing inappropriate apparel or tattoos
  • Any act that may impede the operation of the Park or any associated facility
Despite the above rules, a number of forums I've read said that places like Tokyo Disneyland only get upset about tattoos if the tattoo is offensive. But I'll be investing in either some Dermablend Quick-Fix Body foundation,  Dermablend Leg and Body Cover Broad Spectrum SPF 15 foundation or some band aids because I don't feel like taking any chances.

I need to do some more reading on the topic, so I'll let you all know how my research goes. If you have any first hand experience with tattoos and traveling to Japan I would love to know about what you dealt with and how your dealt with it. Or if you've ever had to cover up your tattoos what products you've used because I've never had to do it before.

In terms of tattoos in Hong Kong I haven't looked into that but we have a patron at the library who is from mainland China and she said that I have nothing to worry about especially since Hong Kong is such a "liberal" place. I trust her, but I'm still going to do some research.

No comments :

Post a Comment