MENU

June 14, 2016

The Story Of Wednesday Night | Hamilton On Broadway...

Last Wednesday night Justin and I went into New York City to see Hamilton on Broadway. Yes, yours truly got to see the pop culture phenomenon that is Hamilton before creator, composer and star Lin-Manuel Miranda left the show and we are so happy we did.

So, how did this Hamilton journey begin? Let me start from the beginning... After listening to numerous Still Untitled podcasts where Adam Savage gushed about Hamilton, Justin (Not me) decided to listen to it and instantly became obsessed with it. He became so obsessed that one night in bed, after an evening out drinking he lamented over how impossible tickets were to get and how much he wanted to see the show -- It was so funny that I found the need to tweet about his first World problem (Which you can read here).

Fast forward to Friday, June 3rd... Lin-Manuel Miranda announced he would be leaving and his final performance would be July 9th. The news just sent Justin into Hamilton madness (Like he called me while I was at Toni's house going "I think I'm going to do it... I'm going to do it..." and me I'm like "Do what? Kill yourself? What are you mumbling about?" and he finally said "I'm going to do it! I'm going to buy us tickets to see Hamilton for this coming Wednesday" and that was that) and he "spent more than he is willing to admit" on a pair of rear mezzanine tickets for us to see Hamilton before Lin left the show (And I'm not going to lie, I'm so happy he did).

Prior to Justin purchasing the tickets I refused to listen to the cast soundtrack because I saw Justin's twitchy obsessed behavior. But once he bought the tickets I decided that I should become familiar with the music before seeing the show and that is when I realized what all the fuss was about. The soundtrack is absolutely amazing -- I've honestly been listening to it everyday since he purchased the tickets.

Fast forward to Wednesday... Justin and I went into the city early to meet up with Day to have dinner and drinks at BEA in the theater district.
After an awesome dinner and another round of drinks at SeƱor Frog's (Because we are classy like that) we parted ways with Day and we headed over to the Richard Rodgers Theatre. Where once inside we spent a glorious three hours enjoying the awesomeness that is Hamilton.
Since seeing the show I've had a bunch of people come ask me if it's worth the hype or what-have-you and I can honestly say yes, yes it is totally worth it. I am absolutely in love with Hamilton, I cannot wait to see the show again (Which we will be doing again on May 10th next year) and I will be listening to the soundtrack for a long long time.

If you you've seen it, I'd love to talk about it with you. Or if you haven't and have any questions about the show, feel free to ask because I've been getting tons of questions from people I know and people who have overheard that I've gone. 

FUN FACT: We have friends who are bragging to people that they know someone whose seen Hamilton. Which is just the funnest thing ever.

2 comments :

  1. Your fun fact cracks me up because I have friends in New York that have been complaining that they haven't been able to get in to see it yet.

    I'm going next year when it comes to LA. I'm thinking about buying season tickets to our theater so that I'll be guaranteed a spot, because I know they will sell out approximately .3948944 seconds after they go on sale.

    I have a friend who's going to NYC in July and somehow managed to snag tickets to Hamilton months ago. When Lin-Manuel announced his last show is July 9, she freaked out. Her tickets are for July 8.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you were able to see it and that you both loved it so much! :)

    Amy @ http://befilledwithj0y.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete