MENU

January 31, 2016

Two Year LASIK Update...

As you may or may not know, I had LASIK (Laser-Assisted in situ Keratomileusis) surgery to correct my vision back in January of 2014. And I thought since today marks exactly two years since I had it that I'd do an update post because my eyes have gone through the adjustment period and have definitely changed since the initial surgery.

First off lemme start off with a little bit of my background... Before having LASIK I wore glasses the majority of my life and was extremely myopic (Nearsighted). I decided to have LASIK because I started to feel restricted by my glasses in certain situations and I couldn't wear contacts all the time because they irritated my eyes if I wore them for more than a few hours at a time, especially when in the library.

So I  went in for a LASIK consultation (Which you can read about in detail here) in November of 2013 to see if I was a candidate for surgery or not. After going through the most comprehensive eye exam of my life I found out that I was indeed a candidate for surgery and booked it for January 2014.

On the day of my surgery I had your textbook LASIK procedure with no complications.

Fast forward to my one day post-op, where they told me my eyes were healing well but my left eye wasn't healing as fast as my right. But there was nothing to worry about.

Fast forward to my one week post-op (Which I wrote about here)... They did a few tests, made me read some eye charts and determined that I was 20/30 in my right eye and 20/25 in my left. My left eye still wasn't healing as well as the doctor would like it, so I was booked for a two week post-op where I was told that my left eye looked much better and that there was nothing to worry about.

I went through all of the rest of my post-ops just fine but my vision was never 20/20 but it didn't bother me because I was warned about it prior to surgery and I just loved being able to see without my glasses on.

Fast forward to just a few months ago, I noticed that my vision had gotten a tad blurry. So I recently went in for an eye exam and was told that I've had some myopic regression, which is something normal for someone like myself who was extremely myopic before the surgery (My prescription was like a -9.5).

Since I mentioned that the blurriness is starting to bother me, my doctor wrote me a light prescription and told me to try using glasses when I need them and if I find myself wearing the glasses more and more that he'd schedule me for a touch up surgery (I paid for a lifetime guarantee, so I get free touch ups for life and/or as long as the surgery center is still open). So that's what I'm going to do because the idea of wearing glasses for various things doesn't bother me. And as much as I enjoy the result of my surgery, I did not enjoy the initial recovery (I mean it wasn't terrible or anything, but still...) and want to hold off from having to do that again for as long as I can.

So yeah, even though I've had a touch of myopic regression and need a light prescription for various things, I'm still extremely happy with the surgery and would recommend it to anyone who is thinking about having it. Especially since most people's vision isn't as bad as mine was and they probably wont have to deal with the things I have had to because of that.

If you have any specific questions about my LASIK experience feel free to ask! Also, if you've had LASIK I'd love to hear about your experience.

1 comment :

  1. I remember when you had that surgery. It's really been two years??

    ReplyDelete