MENU

April 21, 2015

Alana & Allie's Wedding | My First Gay Wedding...

As I mentioned in my previous post, my friends Alana and Allie got married this past weekend and thus I got to attend my first gay wedding on Saturday (Yay!) and it was just so beautiful. Here is how the day played out...

Since four of us were getting ready at my apartment, I woke up at 7:30am to get the ball rolling in the wedding guest beautification project (Especially since I had to do Erin's hair and makeup on top of my own). As Erin, Chas and I got ready Justin counted down the time until we had to leave and after we finished getting all gussied up, the four of us split into two cars (Justin had somewhere to be the next day and he didn't want me to have to take time out from hanging out with my friends to drive him back to our apartment, which was super awesome of him) and drove to the hotel (Chas and I had an epic car dance party during this time) where we were catching a car to the wedding with a bunch of our friends.

The cars (Yes, for some reason it ended up being more than one car) took forever and were kind of shady (Toni's twelve-year-old daughter said the mini van that I ended up getting into was "The kind of van you get raped and killed in..." -- Thanks B) but they got us where we had to be.

Once we got to the venue, which was this super swanky steak and sushi restaurant here on Long Island, we jumped into some seats near some friends that were already there because the wedding was starting five minute after we arrived and watched their beautiful ceremony (They requested that no one take pictures during the ceremony and "be present" throughout the course of it, so that's why there is a lack of pictures from it. I actually had to steal this photos from Alana's Instagram).
Then came their sweet cocktail hour. Where they had signature drinks, a ton of sushi, lobster bisque shooters, mini crab cake balls and a bunch of other wonderfully yummy appetizers, that we all enjoyed as we BSed and took stupid pictures with one another.

Once the cocktail hour was over we were ushered into the main dining room for one awesome reception full of dancing (Which I did with my GoPro in my hand), laughing, more awesome food and even a drag queen dressed as Cher. It was honestly one of the best weddings I have ever been to.
After the wedding our shady driver came back to get us and drop us back off at the hotel where we changed out of our wedding attire and threw on bathing suits for a pool party. We swam and drank for hours before going out to the bar area and hanging out with all of the other wedding guests.

Eventually everyone got sleepy because it really was a long day and we went to our rooms to discover that the wedding favor that we thought were cupcakes were actually mini pies. Then we went on a hunt to find the brides to see if they had anymore pie and ate lots of pie before going to bed.

It was honestly such a great wedding. Everything was beautiful and I am so happy that I was able to be there for Alana and Allie's special day. And in terms of it being a gay wedding, it was no different than any other wedding I've ever attended and Justin agrees. It was two people who love each other committing themselves to one another in front of all of their family and friends (It was a Jewish ceremony for anyone wondering), just with the addition of a drag queen at the reception.

6 comments :

  1. It looks lovely. I'm glad you had a great time!

    Don't you totally look forward to a day when a "gay wedding" is just called a "wedding"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I can't wait for that, especially since the majority of my friends are gay. I actually had an internal argument with myself about the title because to me it was just a beautiful wedding.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a fun time. And I agree with Karen about her "gay wedding" vs "wedding" comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! I know. I can't wait for the day where it's just a wedding like any other because that's what it was.

      Delete
  3. It looked like a really fun wedding & party. I'm glad you had a great time.

    http://nystateofmind5.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete